Both the King size and the Split king-size, are the largest mattress size that is available in the market. Both these sizes are very much popular among the users and also have positive reviews. But there might be confusion among the customers as to which size to choose. Here in this article, we share inputs on both the mattress size for the customers to be able to make wiser decisions.
In a king-size mattress you get plenty of space for yourself while sleeping while in a split king mattress, the couples can customize their beds as per their needs. The only visible difference between the two mattress sizes is that in a king-size bed there is only one mattress that you get. Again in the case of a Split king, there are two twin xl mattresses that are combined together.
Now if you have the intention of upgrading your room then you might be in confusion as to which mattress to go with. This article will work as a guide and clear things for you.
King Size Mattress
Another name by which a king-size mattress is popular is the Eastern king mattress. This is the widest mattress size available in the market with a dimension of about 76 inches by 80 inches. This mattress size is best suited for couples who prefer spreading out while sleeping. A king-size mattress is suitable for a master bedroom whose size is at least 12 feet by 12 feet. This will not only make space for the king-size bed to fit easily in the room but there also will be enough space for walking and adjusting other furniture.
King Size Mattress- Pros
- The approx size of a king-size mattress is 6080 inches which provides for plenty of personal space. You can also adjust two people and a child with you in a king-size mattress.
- There are adjustable bed bases in a king-size mattress. And you should set the base to shift the mattress else the base would try moving each half on their own.
- A king-size bed is most suitable to be kept in master bedrooms.
King Size Mattress- Cons
- Because of their size and weight, king-size mattresses are comparatively heavy and can be up to200 pounds.
- These mattresses are not meant for smaller rooms. You have to have a comparatively larger room to adjust a king-size mattress. If you place such a mattress in any room smaller than 12 feet by 12 feet then your room might feel congested and claustrophobic.
What is a Split- King Size Mattress
A split king mattress can be said as a king-size mattress that is divided into two beds and each bed equals one twin xl size mattress. Split king mattresses help the couple to personalize their side of the bed according to their choice and way of sleeping. Sometimes, it happens that both the partners have different sleeping choices and both are affected and disturbed by each other. In such cases, a split king works as a great help. In such a mattress, each partner gets his or her part which they can decorate as per their sleeping requirements. If one partner prefers a soft mattress while the other needs a hard one, that should never be a problem. Both partners can prioritize their health while sleeping on the same bed.
Split King Size Mattress- Pros
- This type of mattress is designed to take care of each partner’s sleeping needs on the bed.
- It is easier to move a split king mattress since they can be separated into two twin xl mattresses.
- A split king mattress removes all chances of motion transfer thus allowing each partner to sleep peacefully on their mattress but on the same bed.
- In a split king mattress, there is an adjustable bed frame on which a bed is set. This helps the partner to sleep on his side of the bed independently without hurting the other.
Split King Size Mattress- Cons
- You would need specialized bed sheets in a split king bed like two twin xl bed sheets and a king-size bed cover. This increases the overall cost of the accessories.
- Just like a king-size mattress, to adjust a split king mattress also needs to have a master bedroom with 12 feet by 12 feet space which may not be possible always.
- There is a noticeable line visible in the halves of a split king mattress which might cause discomfort while sleeping.
- The cost of a split king mattress is a bit costly than the regular king mattress because of the added facility it offers.
So, we hope you have understood in detail the features and differences between a split king bed and a king bed. Both the beds are popular, useful and have their advantages and disadvantages.
Other Mattress Sizes
Given that split king and king size mattresses are out of your budget, there are other mattress sizes like the Full, Twin, twin xl, and queen size mattresses.
Twin Size Mattress
The dimension of this mattress is about 38 inches by 75 inches and is the smallest mattress size that is available in the market. The kids and the adults having less or no space in their homes can use this.
Twin XL Size Mattress
This mattress size is 38 inches by 80 inches and is mostly found in college dorms and for tall people looking for extra space. This mattress size is also suitable for smaller spaces.
They are 54 inches and 75 inches in size and are great for teenagers and adults who are looking for enough room to spread out their legs. Restless sleepers can also use this bed size so that they can easily change their sleeping positions at night.
The above-mentioned are a few of the mattress sizes apart from King size and split king size. Among them, twin and full-size mattresses are the most reviewed ones. Choosing between twin vs full size would be a tough task as both of them have multiple benefits. The dimension of a full-size mattress is about 75 inches in length and 54 inches in width. While a twin-size mattress is 75 inches long and 38 inches wide. Thus the full-size mattresses are popular among adults as they get enough sleeping space for themselves.
No matter which size mattress you use, make sure the mattress fits your room comfortably by providing enough space for walking and furniture.